Present on the market since 2017, ProtonVPN has benefited from the brand image of ProtonMail to quickly establish itself as a quality service provider. Can it hold its own against competing VPNs? Answer in our test…
ProtonVPN is evolving steadily and performance is clearly up from our last test. open-source, audited and packed with great features, this VPN is definitely worth considering. The absence of the WireGuard® protocol, which would make it possible to compete with the best applications, is however regrettable.
- Free and limited version available.
- Simple to use graphical interface.
- GUI for Linux.
- VPN code open-source audited by an independent company.
- Advanced options: P2P, Tor network, Secure Core (double VPN), split-tunneling (Windows, Android), ad blocking.
- Access to foreign streaming services.
- Average flows.
- No WireGuard® protocol.
- Higher ping than the competition.
- No browser extension.
- No login masking.
- Technical support only reachable by ticket and email.
NB: The reported price drop is calculated by comparing the lowest price of the day with the average of the lowest prices charged by all merchants for the product last month, with security rules to exclude prices from shops whose the VAT policy is not clear (known as “grey” shops, typically in the case of imports from China).
SurfShark has the good points with a simple interface, high speeds and a technical service to match. Simple to use, the software also offers advanced options for the most demanding, especially on Android. A great VPN!