Woman accidentally swallowed AirPods Pro in her sleep

Image credit: Moe Kennedy

A woman was reunited with her AirPods Pro after a nine-hour trip to the emergency room that ended with an emergency endoscopy.

On June 14, 2023, Mo Kennedy found herself in an unusual situation when she accidentally swallowed one of her AirPods Pro headphones while sleeping. What started as a strange dream turned into an unforgettable trip to the emergency room that will stay with Kennedy and her medical team for years to come.

Around 3 a.m., Kennedy suddenly woke up, realizing she appeared to have swallowed one of her AirPods Pro. Panicking, she unsuccessfully tried to vomit it back up.

She and her mother decided to err on the side of caution. The couple headed to the nearby emergency room at Covington Medical Center.

“If you’ve ever lost an AirPod and wondered where to look for it… Maybe look in your stomach because you might have eaten it like I did,” Mo says in a video posted to TikTok.

When Kennedy arrived, she had to explain her situation to the medical staff. They were surprised and surprised to learn that her AirPods Pro still worked. Kennedy’s mother could tune in and hear her daughter’s stomach sounds and laughter.

After performing a CT scan, the medical team discovered that the AirPod had quickly moved deeper into Kennedy’s stomach and was stuck in a dangerous position. There were concerns that the problem could remain undetected or require a more invasive surgical procedure if not addressed immediately.

To prevent this, Kennedy was taken by ambulance to the hospital and underwent an emergency endoscopy.

Kennedy woke up after the procedure with her AirPod safely removed and resting in a cup on her lap. Grateful for the successful outcome and the exceptional care she received, she thanked the medical staff for their positive attitude and good humor regarding the entire situation.

“Overall I would 100% recommend [AirPods Pro]but I 1000% do not recommend eating them,” Kennedy said in an email. “I’m just happy I’m ok and was laughing at the fact that I accidentally tested the pros’ ability to be resistant to stomach acid, which I found was at least up to 9 hours.”

Kennedy is also not the first person to accidentally swallow an AirPod in his sleep. In February 2021, a Massachusetts man swallowed one of his AirPods after it fell out of his ear in his sleep.