After a recent interview with IGN, Hassan Kahraman, head of the Blue Box studio that develops Abandoned, also spoke to the Dutch publication Gamer.nl. During the conversation, the developer shared new details of the upcoming horror game and talked a little about the Blue Box studio.
- In 2015, Blue Box planned to create a third-person cinematic game for PS4, but the project would be very expensive to implement.
- In 2018, the team released the horror game The Whisperer for Android, which has now been removed from Google Play. Kahraman says that the quality of the game was comparable to the quality of console projects, but not all players had the right phones for it.
- Blue Box has partnered with Sony since 2015, but right now, the developers can’t talk about why Abandoned will be a PS5 exclusive. Most likely, the studio will publish a gameplay trailer for the game on the PlayStation channel during E3, which will take place in June.
- The developers have not yet fully mastered the architecture of the PS5 and the development of the game is difficult due to the small number of employees. Kahraman has nothing to say about the release of Abandoned on PC and Xbox, since the game’s gameplay will be sharpened for the DualSense controller.
- According to the head of the studio, Abandoned will be powered by Unreal Engine 4 and will consist of smooth and realistic animations that will almost never be repeated.
- For the sake of realism, Abandoned will have a complete lack of an interface. Players will have to manually check the ammo count, stop bleeding, and clean out wounds to avoid infection.
- Kahraman doesn’t like the fact that players compare his project with Resident Evil and emphasizes that this is a completely different game.
- The thirst and hunger mechanics will be one of the main mechanics in Abandoned. There will also be a need to hunt wild animals, but there will be many places in the game world where normal food can be found. In addition, if you drink dirty water and eat stale food, the protagonist will get sick.
- The game will run on PS5 in 4K at 60 fps, as the console’s power allows it. However, Blue Box still has some optimization work to do.
- The announcement of the game on the PlayStation blog had a positive effect on the reaction of the players, but Kahraman still believes that Blue Box has shown itself not on the best side. The studio hopes to fix this after showing gameplay and releasing a demo.
Abandoned is slated for release in late 2021 and so far the studio has no plans to postpone the release to a later date. Most likely, the full gameplay of the game will be shown during E3 in June.